Friday, July 8, 2011

Other art work

  Ever since I was little my mom would always do arts and crafts with my brother and I, and my love for art grew in elementary school because I had the most amazing teacher. She had tons of random material in buckets, as well as pastels, charcoal, clay, and paint; she let us create what ever we wanted and just let our imaginations flow. I've taken a few art classes since then and I've never had a teacher like her, most of the times they give you step by step directions.. I believe that there is no right or wrong way to do art. My favorite thing to draw back then was cats, and as I practiced my drawing became much better. But something strange happened, my hand writing was growing worse as my drawing grew better. I had always made good grades in school, but now I was getting notes on my tests saying that 20 points were taken off because my teacher could not read my writing. I was devastated.. I knew I had gotten the answer correct, but my teacher just could not understand it... I would talk to my teachers after class and try to read what it said, but even I couldn't decipher my own hand writing... it looked like Egyptian. The problem steadily persisted throughout elementary school, middle school, and finally high school where a teacher recommended that I get tested. At last I discovered that I have a visual processing disorder, which explained the backwards letters, and chaotic script. I was now required to type up all my work in my classes and this seemed to solve most of the problems; finally my teachers could see that I was a good writer, and I scored a perfect score on the writing section of my SAT. It was always difficult trying to explain to people when they saw my handwriting and then my drawings, for I had never understood it myself. Throughout these times I took up the piano and flute, music seemed to come naturally to me and I could figure out how to play any song just by ear. Music has brought me so much peace and joy in my life.. who knows maybe some day I will try and create a musical bear. Now that would be a challenge!



Turtles magnets I am making for my sisters wedding as gifts for the guests

I love making little animals out of clay

I enjoy photography, but at the moment I have
no camera so I just use my phone

Me just playing around before a concert

I love to cook desserts almost as much as I like to eat them!

Imagine trying to grade that!


I was inspired by the movie King Kong. I named this picture
"Ben and Jerry"
 

3 comments:

  1. Your artwork is beautiful. I have to tell you that I had no idea that you were such a young person. Your talent amazes and dedication amazes me. You will go very far in life Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joanne, your comments are always so sweet! :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am impressed: drawing, cooking the desserts, playing the piano and making beautiful bears! Is there anything you can't do?
    Good luck with your senior year in high school!

    Hugs, Peter & the bears

    ReplyDelete